(Updates with NFL’s comment in third paragraph.)
Aug. 29 (Bloomberg) -- The National Football League agreed to pay $765 million to settle litigation over player concussions, and players will receive medical exams as part of the accord, according to court filings.
The settlement, which covers thousands of former NFL players, will provide unspecified compensation for ailments stemming from head injuries and fund medical research into concussions, U.S. District Judge Anita Brody in Philadelphia said in a court filing today. The settlement resulted from mediation talks between the league and players.
“This agreement lets us help those who need it most and continue our work to make the game safer for current and future players,” Jeffrey Pash, a league official, said in an e-mailed statement.
Players accused the NFL in the suits of failing to warn them about the link between repeated traumatic head impacts and long-term brain injuries, including early onset Alzheimer’s and dementia. The cases had been consolidated before Brody for pretrial exchanges of information.
“This agreement will get help quickly to the men who suffered neurological injuries,” Chris Seeger, one of the lawyers for former players, said in an e-mailed statement. “It will do so faster and at far less cost, both financially and emotionally, than could have ever been accomplished by continuing to litigate.”
The case is In re National Football Players’ Concussion Injury Litigation, 12-md-02323, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia).
--With assistance from Curtis Eichelberger in Wilmington, Delaware, and Sophia Pearson in Philadelphia. Editors: Glenn Holdcraft, David E. Rovella